Safe Fasting For DiabeticsInamdar
Fasting put diabetics at risk of low blood sugar level (hypoglycemia). Serious medical emergency condition if the patient is not aware of the symptoms of hypoglycemia.
Even for the high blood sugar level (hyperglycemia), lack of water lead to dehydration may result in diabetic ketoacidosis.
As above mentioned both the condition diabetic first take the approval of their doctor. Doctor will be able to adjust to your medication & dose to minimize the risk of both hyperglycemia & hypoglycemia.
Guidelines for safe fasting:
- Pre-dawn meal low glycemic index carbohydrates with healthy fats & adequate amount of protein. (Boiled egg/Boiled chicken, avocado & multigrain bread). The blend of high fiber carbohydrates, quality of protein & healthy fats sustain healthy blood glucose level throughout the day.
- To maintain the good level of hydration throughout the day, sufficient amount of fluid in the form of water, soups, fresh fruit juices without sugar, detox water can be included.
- Include sugar-free beverages in moderation.
- Avoid caffeine/tannin (coffee/tea) in saheri, acts as a diuretic contribute to dehydration.
- Avoid high carbohydrate or sugary food this will destabilize your blood glucose level.
- Exercise during the fast time is not allowed, can manage it after iftar or before suhoor.
|Include Complex carbohydrates eg. Whole grain, cereals.||Avoid simple sugar, jaggery, honey, sweets etc.|
|Include low GI foods eg. Cucumber, green leafy veggies, apple, orange etc.||Avoid potato suran arvi etc.|
|Include veggies like doodhi, Padwal, ridge gaurd etc.||Avoid refined flour products, bakery items etc|
|Include PUFA & MUFA rich natural food
Eg. Almond, walnut, flaxseed, sunflower seeds with a milkshake, natural fruit juice without sugar etc
|Avoid transfat & saturated fats
Eg. Pakoda, samosa, creamy pastries etc
|Control on portion size||Avoid large portion size|
|Salt in moderation||Avoid preserved, packed, canned foods|
|Meal & medicine on scheduled time||Openly placed food|